Running a non-profit organization can be a rewarding endeavor, but the unique requirements of these organizations can leave you vulnerable to legal missteps, tax consequences and other issues.
If you run a non-profit or charitable organization in Pennsylvania, you need an attorney who understands the unique needs and requirements of these organizations. At Daley Zucker, our legal team has substantial experience representing non-profit organizations in all legal matters including:
- Financial Planning (Trusts and Estates)
- Real Estate
Contact us today to discuss the legal needs of your non-profit organization.
Non-profit Formation & Governance
When you establish a non-profit, you must decide what type of organization you will use. The two most frequently used are a corporation or trust. The new entity must also obtain a federal tax exemption. In order to do so, you will require organizational documents. The tax exemption application must have the necessary information about the organization and its proposed activities, along with a three year budget.
At Daley Zucker, our non-profit attorneys will help you create the correct documents and make certain they comply with the law. We can also assist you in establishing proper governance policies so you can operate both legally and effectively.
Our services include:
- Formation of non-profit entities, including 501(c) (all types), private foundations and charitable trusts
- Advice on the duties of boards, including ethical requirements, fiduciary obligations and best practices
- Drafting and review of governance documents such as bylaws and policies
- Preparation and filing of tax forms required for exemption
- Information on conduct that is proper and improper under the IRS rules and regulations
- Representation before the IRS
If you decide to merge with or acquire another non-profit, or need to dissolve your non-profit, we can assist you through the process. By increasing your organization’s size, you may also be able to offer more effective services to the community you seek to assist. Frequently, merging allows expansion into new locations, increases fundraising opportunities and helps resolve succession issues.
We can help you by:
- Performing research on the non-profit you plan to acquire
- Drafting all appropriate documents and filing plans with regulatory bodies
- Advising you on the dissolution process
- Helping you transfer assets to other non-profits
- Representing you in any court proceedings
Fund Raising and Financial Planning
Cause-related marketing is a great way to increase both your organization’s profile and raise money, but it is critical that you follow the complex laws and restrictions to avoid legal problems. You must properly register and comply with the laws of all states in which you intend to engage in fundraising. At Daley Zucker, we have experience in making certain that our non-profit clients follow the law by utilizing appropriate language in their fundraising letters or online activities.
In order to prepare for the future, you will need to engage in log term planning for your organization. You will be managing assets left to you by generous contributors. Our business planning team has experience not only in representing individuals, but in making certain businesses have the proper plans to protect their organizations long into the future.
Have questions about your non-profit?