Melissa L. Van Eck
“My goal is to provide my clients with compassionate, practical representation during their difficult times.” – MELISSA VAN ECK
Watching her parents go through a difficult divorce and custody battle first sparked Melissa’s interest in the law when she was only in 1st grade. After attending college and graduating from law school, Melissa practiced insurance defense law, personal injury law and collections law, before settling on family law and bankruptcy as her main areas of focus. She enjoys helping families in conflict and is able to draw on her childhood experiences to empathize with her clients. Later, she was introduced to bankruptcy law, providing additional opportunities to help families in need.
Melissa brings 16 years of legal experience to Daley Zucker. A leader both in and out of her profession, Melissa is a Director for the Middle District Bankruptcy Bar (“MDBBA”) and has served as a presenter for that organization’s Annual Conference.
PERSPECTIVE / PHILOSOPHY
Melissa understands the system and knows that the process doesn’t always have to be confrontational. She is an advocate of the collaborative process, that is more focused on solutions that benefit both sides. Melissa also has experience litigating when the collaborative process breaks down. She believes her most important job is helping clients understand their options, while assisting them in making informed decisions that are both efficient and cost-effective.
FUN FACTS ABOUT MELISSA
Melissa has a serious love and passion for shoes, particularly Manolo Blahnik. Melissa studied abroad in Geneva, Switzerland after her first year in law school. An active mom with two boys, she attends her sons’ football games and can be heard cheering in the stands. Her husband serves as the coach for her sons’ teams. Melissa is also an avid fan of the West Virginia University Mountaineers.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Member
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Family Law Section Member
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Family Law Section Member
- Served as a panel Arbitrator in Dauphin County, 2011
- Cumberland County Bar Association, Member
- Middle District Bankruptcy Bar Association, Director
- Served on the Middle District Bankruptcy Bar Association Fee Committee, 2013
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Dauphin County Council of Republican Women, 2nd Vice President
- West Hanover Elementary School PTA, Past President
- Central Dauphin School District Curriculum Committee, Member
- Brookview Homeowner’s Association, President
- Pro Bono Recognition from U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of PA, 2016
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 1999
B.A., Shepherd College, 1997
Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 2000
United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2002
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2012